When it comes to cyber security, it is easy for small to medium sized businesses to say “not me”, “they are only after the big guys.” The reality is that attacks on all networks have been increasing year after year as hackers have become more sophisticated, and small businesses are being affected every day by relaxed or non-existent security policies.
A 2019 Ponemon Institute survey found that 66% of U.S. small businesses said they'd been a target of a cyberattack compared to 61 % in 2017. To no surprise, the most common security exploit was social engineering - specifically phishing e-mails. Those businesses who suffered from a successful cyberattack reported damages in excess of $1.2M (cost of the compromise) and $1.9M (cost of business disruption). In addition, companies reported the biggest pain point (68%) to be employee passwords being stolen or compromised
Small and Medium size businesses continue to be a prime target. Why? SMBs do not usually have the staff, policies or protocols in place to protect, diagnose and respond to a potential threat. You don't have to guard yourself like a large enterprise. Some basic security and training can help protect your most important asset - your business. All this can be catastrophic if you fall under any compliance or regulatory body. In addition, as much as 60 percent of hacked small and medium-sized businesses go out of business after six months
There are a number of ways Bayon Technologies Group in South Florida helps to ensure that you are at minimum risk:
- Updates - Keeping computers and network equipment updated is one of the most effective steps to preventing a possible cyber security issue
- Firewall - A common mistake in small to medium business networks is the lack of a business grade firewall solution. Often business owners are unaware of the difference between having a network router and having a network firewall in place
- Passwords - Password and password protection are proving to be an area that needs attention when discussing cyber security. Using sophisticated software and tools, hackers are easily gaining access to small business networks through simple or default passwords
- Advanced Endpoint Protection/Antivirus/Antispam - Most people know that antivirus and antispam software are necessary components of cyber security, but many people don’t realize why its so important until their computer or network is infected with a virus, malware, spyware, or ransomware. Use of a multi-layered security suite and training helps protect against the evolving cyber threats
- Passwords - We use Two -Factor Authentication as well as Enterprise grade password managers to help protect our networks
- Cyber Security Awareness Training – One careless click while multi-tasking can wreak havoc on your network. Whether it’s a ransomware infection or stolen credentials the impact on your organization can be severe. Regular training is the best way to protect you from potential liability, theft, purbli relations issues and more. The minimal cost of this education more than pays for itself. It’s regular simulated phishing e-mails along with video and on-site training for you and your employees.
No matter the size of your business, cyber security is a definite requirement for every business in the digital age. If you are worried or unsure of where to start with an internal security audit, our team can help get you on track.
- Dark Web Monitoring
- Vulnerability assessments
- Penetration Testing
- Wireless Security Assessment
- Network Security Assessment
- Web Application Assessment
- Physical Security Review
- Social Engineering Assessment
- Forensics / Incident Response
- Information Security Consulting
- Full Information Security Assessment
- Cyber Security Training
- PCI certification assessment